Luis Roberto León, PE, BCEE
Senior Project Manager, Regional Conveyance Market Leader for the Western U.S. and Latin America
WEF Chair Elect of the Collection Systems Committee
At CDM Smith I manage of a wide variety of projects in the areas of master planning, feasibility studies, asset management, design (plans, specifications and estimates), permitting, and construction management of public and private wastewater collection systems, water distribution facilities, storm drainage, and other infrastructure projects, including rehabilitation using innovative applications of trenchless technologies. I also support marketing for conveyance related projects throughout the western U.S. and Latin America.
For WEF I serve as a CSC liaison to the WEF Committee Leadership Council which involves:
Supervision and direction of subcommittees, projects and tasks assigned to the position per the “Committee Leadership Responsibility Organizational Chart.”
- Supervision and direction of Project Managers and subcommittee chairs;
- Collecting project proposals and distributing them for review by the Steering Subcommittee;
- Overseeing the adherence by project managers to established time lines;
- Review the quality of the project deliverables to ensure that they meet committee expectations;
- Review & evaluate the performance of project managers and/or vice-managers when meeting task schedules or project quality;
- Appointment of all project team members, as recommended by the project team/subcommittee chairs.
I got involved with WEF soon after attending my first WEFTEC conference. I was impressed with the caliber of people working in and with the organization. My proudest moment with WEF was being elected to the leadership of the WEF Collection Systems Committee.
It is definitely worth being involved with WEF and rewarding. I highly recommend it to others and encourage them to get involved.