Do you feel the love? Can you hear the noise? It’s a resounding “THANK YOU” bouncing off the walls of the State Capitol. That’s right! Coming in the first week of October and every October from here to eternity will now be Water Professionals Appreciation Week!
California’s first-ever Water Professionals Appreciation Week will launch this October as part of a new annual designation intended to highlight the important role of water industry professionals and local public water agencies in ensuring safe and reliable water, wastewater, and recycled water in California.
As part of the designated week, local urban and agricultural water agencies are encouraged to organize programs and events that educate California water customers, local elected leaders, state and federal legislators, and other key audiences on the value of water and wastewater services and the important role that water professionals play in providing these services. It is also an opportunity to showcase careers in the water industry.
Water Professionals Appreciation Week was established by Senate Concurrent Resolution (SCR) 80, approved by the Legislature on Sept. 13 and chaptered on Sept. 19.
The resolution, authored by Sen. Bill Dodd (D-Napa), was sponsored by an ACWA-led coalition that includes WateReuse California, California Municipal Utilities Association, California Association of Sanitation Agencies and California Water Association. The California Water Environment Association also is a partner in the effort.
Under SCR 80, Water Professionals Appreciation Week begins on the first Saturday of October and ends on the Sunday of the following weekend each year. This timeframe was specifically chosen to allow for two available weekends to host related activities and events. This year’s Water Professionals Appreciation Week runs from Oct. 7-15.
ACWA members who wish to participate in Water Professionals Appreciation Week may choose from the following suggested activities and tools:
Suggested Local Activities
- Let your local media know you are participating in Water Professionals Appreciation Week. This sample news release is available.
- Ask the cities and counties in your service area to pass resolutions in support of your agency and Water Professionals Appreciation Week.
- Organize a tour of your agency’s water facilities, infrastructure or projects, such as a water treatment plant, recycled water project, or irrigation infrastructure. Be sure to invite your customers, local officials, legislators and media.
- Host an Open House at your district office.
- Work with local high schools, colleges and universities to promote careers or internships at your district.
- Start a mentor program for young professionals in your agency.
Social Media Content
During Water Professionals Appreciation Week, please share the following content on your agency’s social media platforms using the Water Professionals Appreciation Week hashtags: #WeAreCAWater, #CAWaterWeek and #WorkForWater.