We interviewed several California based companies who provide systems for flushable wipe issues.
This Q&A is with Graham Hackett, Branch Manager for the Los Angeles and Fairfield offices of global pump and systems manufacturer Xylem Inc. Graham talked about their new N-Hydraulic pump design for dealing with wipes.
1. When did your company first get involved in solving wipes problems?
Xylem-Flygt initially became involved in solving customer issues with non-dispersibles in municipal lift stations, collection systems and wastewater treatment facilities in the early to mid 2000’s.
2. Why is your solution the best at resolving the problem?
Xylem has been delivering Flygt brand electric submersible pumps in wet-pit and dry-pit wastewater applications, outfitted with patented N-Hydraulic Innovative Technology.
Flygt N-pumps have proven to provide guaranteed non-clog performance and deliver more than 25% energy savings when compared to conventional solids-handling pump designs.
3. Do you have a sample California wipes problem/solution case study you can share with us?
Flygt has numerous Case Studies where the N-Hydraulic Innovative Technology has been documented to solve pump clogging issues as well as deliver more than 25% energy savings, not to mention the elimination of un-scheduled call-outs by collection systems maintenance staff.
4. How long has your company been based in California?
Xylem-Flygt has a continuous sales and service presence in California for more than 50-years, originally as ITT-Flygt.
All together there are 7 locations in California for the many Xylem brands.
5. What do you think is the future of the wipes problem for our profession?
Any reduction in regard to introduction of non-dispersibles into the municipal collection system will be through public awareness programs and possibly science programs in middle-school systems.
Further advancements in the manufacturing methods by non-woven substrate manufacturers will also reduce some pressure on Municipal Collection System operators.
Ultimately, the wastewater utilities will need to employ modern equipment to mitigate their collection system issues caused by non-dispersibles that are introduced into their systems.
- N-Hydraulic Pump information
- N-Hydraulic pump brochure (pdf)
- Contact Graham Hackett at 707.430.0168 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommended reading: Xylem Inc’s Bob Domkowski’s presentation about wipes and pumps called “Non-dispersibles, Pump Efficiency and Energy Saving Advancements”. The presentation has been given at nearly every WEA conference in nearly all 50 states, including at a CWEA conference.